Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 11, 2008

Zoot's Chair

This is the story of the chair Zoot the cat sat on. It was a treasure purchased at a second hand store by my friend Diva Arlene. Here is the noble cat sitting beside his beloved chair. He has no idea what's about to happen next...

One day, Arlene had a wonderful idea. She saw a beautiful chair in a magazine, and she wanted to give Zoot's chair a face lift. So naturally, she decided it needed a fresh coat of paint.

And who, exactly, does one call when one wants to do something artsy-crazy to a cat chair? Me, of course! After some discussion, we decided that I would paint the chair "Faux Vogh".

"Starry starry night ..." We even had some musical accompaniment by Josh in the process. He is learning to play the song "Vincent" on piano. It was all very inspiring. Arlene supervised the whole thing bringing all the paints, brushes, and plastic needed to pull this thing off. She also baked up some scrumptious Pear Ginger Walnut Muffins [perhaps these should be renamed Vincent Muffins, eh?], coffee and later on, slaved over a hot stove to produce some Van Gogh Soup for the starving artist and her accompanying offspring. [I'm hoping Arlene will post the recipes on her blog]Is the chair finished? No! There's more to come, much more, so watch my blog.

Vincent
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul
Shadows on the hills
Sketch the trees and the daffodils
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colors on the snowy linen land

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

Starry, starry night
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze
Swirling clouds in violet haze
Reflecting Vincent's eyes of china blue
Colours changing hue
Morning fields of amber grain
Weathered faces lined in pain
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hands

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now


For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you Vincent
This world was never meant for one as
Beautiful as you


Starry, starry night
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frameless heads on nameless walls
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget
Like the strangers that you've met
The ragged men in ragged clothes
A silver thorn on a bloody rose
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow

Now I think I know
What you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they're not listening still
Perhaps they never will

Note: The lyrics above, were written by Don MacLean in 1971 after he had read a book about Vincent Van Gogh. Buried in a time capsule beneath the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, is a copy of the sheet music to Vincent, along with a set of Van Gogh's paint brushes.

16 comments:

Pink Elephant Soapery said...

Dawn this is awesome!!! I can't wait to see it completed.

Maija said...

That is so way cool, Dawn!

Ro Bruhn said...

What a great idea, I'm a colour freak so I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this!! I can't wait to see the finished project. I had to bring my husband to the computer and show him this because I am always painting something. I haven't done a chair yet though. What kind of paints do you use? Are they fabric paints? Is the white gesso? Very wonderful and looks like fun.

Janine Davies said...

This is absolutely fabulous! Like the others, I just cannot wait to see the finished product! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! How cool, Dawn! I look forward to seeing the whole thing...

Deryn M.

Caren McNee said...

OOOh, Dawn! That looks so good! Can't wait to see how this progresses:)

JudyK said...

What a great chair!! I LOVE it!
Makes me want to go to the local used furniture store!

Judy K

Ruth Rae said...

your chain is so great!
I can not wait to see it completed!

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful! I made a handbag based on Starry Night, and I'm a total sucker for that artwork :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Zoot is one lucky cat!
Nelda H.

primdollie said...

wow what an amazing work my dear!!! I love it and the colors are fab!!! I think Zoot will think he is a prince in it for sure!!! looks and sounds like you all had a fab time!!! can't wait to see the finished project!!! Hugs Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an undertaking! But this chair is going to look SO COOL when it is done. I'm surprised that your cat has not tried to see what is going on by jumping into it while the paint was still wet!

I have a chair in my art studio that I need to do something with. When the dog was younger, she tore a large hole in the seat cushion. Don't know how the chair would take to paint, as the fabric has a slight pile to it...like a ribless corduroy. Maybe fabric appliques all over it???

sallyt said...

Inspiring idea, Dawn. Would love to see it all finished.
Sallyt

arlene said...

OK. In an upcoming post I'll share the recipes, just to see if they inspire others to such greatness. It was magical, what you did!!

foundthings said...

her soup DID look sooooo yummy so i can't blame you...but i think ZOot gets the better end of the deal!!! its absolutely FANTABULOUS!! i'm SO TOTALLY jealous though that i don't have nearby art friends.