Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A glimpse of things to come ...


I had bought a wing back chair a few weeks ago. This chair is for our home. Yesterday, I started the adventure of painting my second Faux Gogh chair.

After a rather lively family discussion, it was mutually decided that I should try something other than Starry Night on the front panel and seat, because I had been there, done that (ie., Arlene's Faux Gogh chair). So my task was to pour over Van Gogh paintings to try to figure out what would be the best choices for our chair.

One painting in particular caught my eye, which I think fits the style and proportions of the $19.99-Salvation-Army-Special that I'm painting this time round. It's called Wheat Field with Rising Sun. I love the colours, the movement and the title ~ which I shall rename Wheat Field with Dawn. (Note: there are mountains in this painting too, and since I'm a native British Columbian, it seems even more appropriate).

In case you're wondering, I'm not trying to paint an exact replica of Van Gogh's work ~ just my impressions of Vincent's impressions.

Anyway, here's a glimpse of the chair. This is very rough looking still as there will be a few more layers that need to be added before it's completed. However, I can see already that I'm going to really enjoy this project.

Also, I'll "re-realize" what an absolute master Vincent was. His work was powerful, dramatic and uniquely imaginative. Pure genius.

One must work and dare if one really wants to live. ~ Vincent Van Gogh 1853-1890

3 comments:

arlene said...

Well Dawn, I didn't think you could top my chair, but it looks like you're well on your way. This is amazing!!
I LOVE the colours you've chosen! I can't wait to see it. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till I get home...I'm too busy here to get a chance to come visit before I leave. It will probably be finished before I get back. I can't wait!!! Yaay Dawn!!

Runs With Scissors said...

oh my gosh!, this looks soooo good already!!
I cant wait till it's done!

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to see this one when it is done. You are inspiring me again, Thanks!!!

Cin