Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Dad

Dad was always a quick thinker, well read and extremely intelligent. Now he isn't well. For the past week, he's been sleeping most of the time, and when he is awake, he doesn't communicate much. It's been about 10 years since we noticed his dementia. About 4 years ago, he wandered once when he was visiting in Calgary with Mom. (A kind stranger alerted EMS that he seemed to be lost, he was taken to a hospital, and when my brother Dave phoned police to report his disappearance [at 5 or 6 a.m.], they checked with the hospitals and located him). That is when we realized that we really had to be in a protective environment.

Although it's been a long time since Dad hasn't really been DAD, it's hard to see his continuing decline. We all know he is ready to meet his Father in Heaven, but sometimes I think he's just holding on to this earthly shell for my mother's sake. She'd be lost without him.

It's been difficult to find out what's happening with Dad physically, but yesterday, I left a note on his file to get the doctor to contact me when he comes in so that I can ask him what's going on.

No comments: