Monday, March 06, 2006

Creating with the 5 senses


For Inspire Me Thursday this week, the challenge was to use all five of your senses in the creative process.

At first I thought that this was going to be a difficult exercise. But it was a good one in the end because it got me to think about the sensory aspect of creating a piece of art.



WHAT I DID (& what senses were used):

  • took Irish Spring soap out of its box (smell)
    - here I could have used the sense of taste, but didn't
  • flattened it (touch)
  • scribbled with my favourite medium ~ waxed crayons (smell)
  • used acrylic paint as a wash over box (see)
  • sandpapered parts of box (hear)
  • then used felt marker to write "embellie" on box (smell)
  • glued on bottle cap that i'd previously created (touch of warm glue gun in my hand)
  • rounded up unused some bottle caps and closed box (touch ~ picking caps up)
  • shook the box (hear)

So I wonder what the challenge will be next week ....

4 comments:

tiffinix said...

Hi Dawn! I found you. . .I misplaced your email and could not find it for the life of me! Then all the sudden there you were on the Inspire me Thursday link! Yea!! Very cool 5 senses piece! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! Glad to have caught back up with you!
»»-(¯`v´¯)--»

arlene said...

Nice, nice, nice! Good thinking! LOVE the background Dawn! Ya' gotta' teach me how to do that...

And the "how' to's" are laid out well.

ar

Kirsten said...

What a great interpretation of the '5 senses' subject! It is really fun seeing all the different things people have come up with. What a great idea that you have created something useful as well.

I know what you mean about the smell of the waxed crayons - everytime I smell that it brings my childhood flooding back! The other day I bought some candles that smelled exactly like Crayola crayons and I was transported back to my childhood for a few seconds :)

I love what you made and I look forward to seeing what you (and everyone!) makes for the next one... I wonder what it will be?

Kaleidoscopic Kris said...

Very fun! I really like that you recycled something ordinary to make a useful to keep in your studio. ANd the scent of Irish Spring-- very distinctive!